LOOK OUT WORLD

Monday, October 3, 2011

Treat donated clothes right

Treat donated cloths right

A great thing happened this summer a company called usagain put boxes (like very large mail boxes) around town to donate clothing.  Goodwill is all the way across town as many of us we box up our used clothes and wait to donate them.  The usagain boxes let me drive only a half mile away and donate same day.  The other day I saw something that disturbed me but first more on usagain from their website http://www.usagain.com/ 

 USAgain is a green for-profit enterprise that collects used clothes and resells them worldwide to conserve precious natural resources and greenhouse gases. We provide thousands of convenient locations across the U.S. where you can drop off your gently used clothes and shoes any time of the day, any day of the year. For the clothes you no longer use, we provide an easy, eco-friendly way to remove them from your closet! What's more, the clothes are given a second life at affordable prices for people who can't afford brand new clothes. It's a win-win-win proposition.


Now I think their statement and use of the clothing is a great cause but back to what I saw.  One afternoon I saw the usagain truck and a person emptying the box, the problem was that instead of walking the clothes over to the truck and putting them in it he was throwing the clothes into the street behind the truck.  Now if you are like me I clean the clothes before I donate them and it is a mute point if they are going to thrown onto the ground before collection and as I said not just the ground but in the street.  I would think that you could respect the clothes walk them to the truck and put them in it.  It will for me make me think twice before I donate clothes to them. A quote I am sure I heard somewhere is

"To donate is divine to see clothes thrown into the street is wrong and just makes me MAD"

No comments:

Post a Comment